The importance of preselling
The most important thing you can do to increase your affiliate commissions is to presell properly.
First, what is preselling? There are two components to it – art & science. It’s a process of taking your reader and getting them ready to buy. Then when they’re ready, refer them to the product website so they can buy it. If you do it well, it’s completely invisible.
Basically, you give them some content. Then send them to the sales page. In just a minute, I’ll explain exactly how to presell. But before we do, you need to know why it’s so important. Here are a few benefits of preselling:
- It builds trust – And gaining the trust of your readers helps them want to click your links. Which obviously means you’ll make more sales.
- It takes your reader out of defense mode – When you’re preselling vs. pitching, you’re reader doesn’t feel the need to be guarded. And in turn they read to understand what you’re saying. So your content get absorbed.
- It preps them to buy – Now they’re open to hearing what you’re telling them. So they become more receptive to other messages. For example, the sales message on the page you’re linking to. Being open to a sales message is what it means being in a buying mood.
- It increases your sales – You’ve prepped them and referred them in the right state of mind. With the guard down and trusting your recommendation. The only possible result is more sales!
- It increases customer satisfaction – Your referral now feels like they decided to buy. Instead of feeling pressured or “sold”. And this makes them feel better about the product they purchased.
- Your profits go up – A satisfied customer doesn’t ask for a refund. And that translates to more commission staying in your affiliate business.
The need to presell is clear. You increase your profits. And increase your customer satisfaction. It’s a win-win-win!
OK, so how do you do it?
Now you know whey preselling is critical. And hopefully you’re convinced you need to start doing it. So, it’s time to break down how it works. Like we talked about before, it’s an art. And it’s a science.
Part 1 – The art of it
The first step is in getting your readers to trust you and open up. And the only method of doing this is to give exceptional value to your readers. The art of this is to provide enough information to be of value, but not enough to satiate the hunger. So you send them to the product website with a hunger for more of what the product provides. Plus they’re not guarded, so they’re more open and likely to purchase the product.
It’s also a science
There’s also a specific formula you need to follow.
The first is how you present the information. You have to have your end in mind. Your end goal is to make a sale of the product you’re preselling. How can providing information accomplish this goal? The first method is to provide enough info to get them started, but not enough to finish. The other method is to explain all the details and expose how difficult it is to do what you’re explaining. Whichever method, you send them to a product website that solves the problem you just created.
You also have to link to the product you’re promoting discretely. Instead you link directly to the product sales page. This increases your clicks. But, without your affiliate link, how do you get credit? There’s a trick to make this work… You use an image tag to cookie your reader before they leave your site.
You also want to link to the sales page from inside your article’s content. People are used to clicking on hyperlinked words to get information they’re looking for. And when the words are in context like this, it makes perfect sense for your reader to click them.
What you have now is a super powerful system for affiliate marketing success.
Doing all of this right is really hard! Let’s talk about everything required to put this plan into action: Great content. The entire process depends on your being able to provide useful information to your readers. To do that you have to have enough information to be valuable and be able to present it in a useful way. Preselling skills. Yes, you must providing useful content. And you have to make the content accessible in order to provide value. And still leave them wanting more. Or provide so much information that they see how hard it will be to implement.
Choosing your products. After that you have to figure out which products you want to promote. Even if you can pull off writing and great article. You’ve wasted all your effort if the product doesn’t sell well.
The technical know-how One of the keys to this system is using “covert cookies” for the tracking. This is pretty easy – you just make a 1 pixel X 1 pixel image with no border and make the “source” of the image your affiliate link. (But if you mess it up, your referrals won’t be tracked.)
Now you know what it takes to be a Presell Pro. And doing this increases your affiliate commissions by over 500%! It’s absolutely critical to do this every time – and to do it correctly. Don’t wait another minute. Put in the effort to reap the greater rewards.