If you’re not preselling, you’re losing money
The number one strategy to increase your affiliate sales is preselling.
First, what is preselling? Preselling is both an art and a science. It’s a process of taking your reader and getting them ready to buy. Then sending them to the product sales page to make the purchase. When done correctly, your reader will not even notice.
In a nutshell, you provide value. And then refer them to the product website. In a second we’ll talk about how to do actually it. Before we get into that, you should understand what’s in it for you. Here are a few benefits of preselling:
- Preselling creates trust – Readers who trust you are more likely to click your links. Which obviously means you’ll make more sales.
- It takes your reader out of defense mode – When you’re not hyping or pitching a product, your reader lets their guard down. This means they are more open to what you’re saying. So your message gets across.
- It creates buying readiness – Now they trust you and feel open to your message. Being open means, they are open to everything you give them. This includes the sales website you send them to! Being open to a sales message is what it means being in a buying mood.
- Your commissions go up – You’ve prepped them and referred them in the right state of mind. With a feeling of trust and openness. The only possible result is more sales!
- It boosts customer loyalty – Your referral now feels like they decided to buy. Instead of being manipulated into buying. And this leads to greater satisfaction with the product.
- Your profits go up – A satisfied customer doesn’t ask for a refund. And that translates to more commission staying in your affiliate business.
The need to presell is clear. You increase your profits. Your customers are happier. That’s a clear win-win.
How does it work?
Now you know whey preselling is critical. And hopefully you’re convinced you need to start doing it. So, let’s talk about how to make it work. Like we talked about before, it’s an art. And it’s a science.
Part 1 – The art of it
Effective preselling requires gaining your readers trust in order for them to let down their guard. And the only method of doing this is to give exceptional value to your readers. The art of this is to provide enough information to be of value, but not enough to satiate the hunger. That is, they have to be wanting more when you refer them to the product sales page for the product you’re trying to sell. And since they’re more open, they are more likely to make a purchase.
Part 2 – the Science
There are also several key elements that need to be included.
One of these key elements is the presentation of the information. You’ve got to map out your strategy before you start writing. Your goal is to sell the product you’re promoting. You use the information to do this in one of two ways. The first method is to provide enough info to get them started, but not enough to finish. The second way is to provide all the information and let your reader discover how hard it is to actually implement it. In either case, the product you’re referring them to solves the problem for them.
You also have to link to the product you’re promoting discretely. Instead you link directly to the product sales page. This increases your clicks. But, without your affiliate link, how do you get credit? This is all part of the science of preselling. You use the “covert cookie” strategy.
You also want to link to the sales page from inside your article’s content. It’s habitual to click on words and phrases that are hyperlinked. And if the words you hyperlink relate, your reader will naturally click them for more information.
Using this system, you’re virtually guaranteed to increase your affiliate business success.
Now for the bad news…
Doing all of this right is really hard! Think about everything that goes into crafting an effective preselling article: Good content. The entire process depends on your being able to provide useful information to your readers. Which means you need to be both knowledgable on the subject and capable of writing a high-quality article. Strategic writing. First, you have to give good information. And you have to make the content accessible in order to provide value. And somehow also make them want to learn more. Or make the information so overwhelming they realize they can’t do it on their own.
Picking products. You also need to determine what products you’ll be preselling. If you can manage to get the article written well. You’ve wasted all your effort if the product doesn’t sell well.
Techy stuff. And finally, you need the technical know-how to embed your image tag and make sure you get credit for the sale. This is pretty easy – you just make a 1 pixel X 1 pixel image with no border and make the “source” of the image your affiliate link. (But if you mess it up, your referrals won’t be tracked.)
Now you know what it takes to be a Presell Pro. And doing this increases your affiliate commissions by over 500%! The important thing is to use these techniques for everything you promote as an affiliate. Don’t wait another minute. Put in the effort to reap the greater rewards.